Item No: pdcf00216
Title: Kensington Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of an early location of the Kensington Branch, ca. 1902
Historic Street Address:
2055 E. Dauphin Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kensington Branch, originally known as the Frankford Avenue Branch, opened in 1894, as Branch No. 3 of the Philadelphia Public Library. It was located at 1858 Frankford Avenue. In 1896, it became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. Its name was changed to Kensington Branch in 1900, so as not to be confused with the newly-acquired Frankford Branch. The Kensington Branch moved in 1902 into the empty Messiah Baptist Church building, pictured here, at 2055 East Dauphin Street, where it remained for 51 years.
In 1953, pending completed construction of its new location, the branch temporarily moved into a small rented shop at 2508 N. Front Street. The current Kensington Branch, at Hope & Dauphin Streets, opened on July 20, 1956.
The Kensington Branch serves Kensington, West Kensington, and Norris Square.