Item No: pdcf00218
Title: Kensington Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the interim location for the Kensington Branch, ca. 1953
Historic Street Address:
2508 N. Front Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kensington Branch, originally known as the Frankford Avenue Branch of the Philadelphia Public Library, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1896. Its name was changed to Kensington Branch in 1900, so as not to be confused with the newly-acquired Frankford Branch. The Kensington Branch moved in 1902 into the empty Messiah Baptist Church building, at 2055 East Dauphin Street, where it remained for 51 years.
In 1953, pending completed construction of its new location, the branch moved temporarily into a small rented shop at 2508 N. Front Street. This is an interior view of that interim location, facing the entrance and the children's stacks. The completed new building, at Hope & Dauphin Streets, opened on July 20, 1956.
The Kensington Branch serves Kensington, West Kensington, and Norris Square.