Item No: pdcf00221
Title: Kensington Branch
Additional Title: Groundbreaking ceremony for new Kensington Branch building, 1955
Historic Street Address:
104 W. Dauphin Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kensington Branch, originally known as the Frankford Avenue Branch of the Philadelphia Public Library, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1896. Its name was changed to Kensington Branch in 1900, so as not to be confused with the newly-acquired Frankford Branch. The Kensington Branch moved in 1902 into the empty Messiah Baptist Church building, at 2055 East Dauphin Street, where it remained for 51 years.
In 1953, pending completed construction of its new location, the branch moved temporarily into a small rented shop at 2508 N. Front Street. This is a photograph of the ground-breaking ceremony for the new building, at Hope & Dauphin Streets, on July 26, 1955. The completed branch opened on July 20, 1956.
The Kensington Branch serves Kensington, West Kensington, and Norris Square.