Item No: pdcf00224
Title: Kensington Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Kensington Branch at night, ca. 1956
Historic Street Address:
104 W. Dauphin Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kensington Branch, originally known as the Frankford Avenue Branch of the Philadelphia Public Library, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia in 1896. Its name was changed to Kensington Branch in 1900, so as not to be confused with the newly-acquired Frankford Branch. The Kensington Branch moved in 1902 into the empty Messiah Baptist Church building, at 2055 East Dauphin Street, where it remained for 51 years.
From 1953-1956, pending completed construction of its new location, the branch moved temporarily into a small rented shop at 2508 N. Front Street. The new building, at Hope & Dauphin Streets, opened on July 20, 1956. This ca. 1956 exterior nighttime view of the new building clearly reveals its lit interior.
The Kensington Branch serves Kensington, West Kensington, and Norris Square.