Item No: pdcf00228
Title: Kingsessing Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Kingsessing Branch, ca. 1919
Historic Street Address:
1201 S. 51st Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kingsessing Branch opened on November 29, 1919. The land for the library was provided by the Board of Recreation for the City of Philadelphia, as part of the Kingsessing Recreational Park and Playground. The Beaux Arts-style building, designed by architect Philip H. Johnson, was the 22nd library in Philadelphia to be constructed with Andrew Carnegie funds.
This interior view, taken shortly after opening, shows the main room, consisting of the circulation desk and adult reading room, and looks through to the children's room. When built, the basement consisted of the lecture room, staff room, kitchen, toilets, storage, boiler room, and coal bin.
Located in Kingsessing Park, fronting on 51st Street, between Chester and Kingsessing Avenues, this branch serves the Kingsessing neighborhood.
Rau Art Studios, Inc. - Photographer