Item No: pdcf00229
Title: Kingsessing Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Kingsessing Branch, ca. 1940s
Historic Street Address:
1201 S. 51st Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Kingsessing Branch opened on November 29, 1919. The land for the library was provided by the Board of Recreation for the City of Philadelphia, as part of the Kingsessing Recreational Park and Playground. The branch was the 22nd library in Philadelphia to be constructed with Andrew Carnegie funds.
This exterior view of the branch was probably taken in the 1940s, and shows very little change since it was built; but it shows the facade in greater detail than the 1919 photograph.
Located in Kingsessing Park, fronting on 51st Street, between Chester and Kingsessing Avenues, this branch serves the Kingsessing neighborhood.