Item No: pdcf00250
Title: Lillian Marrero/Lehigh Avenue Branch
Additional Title: Children's Room of the Lehigh Avenue Branch, ca. 1910s
Historic Street Address:
601 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Lehigh Avenue Branch was the third Free Library branch that was built with funds from Andrew Carnegie. It opened on November 20, 1906. This ca. 1910 interior view shows young library patrons in the children's room. At the time, this white limestone and terra cotta Beaux Arts-style building was the largest library in Pennsylvania.
The branch was saved from a planned relocation in the mid-1960s, and was instead rehabilitated in 1967. In 2005, the branch was renamed the Lillian Marrero Branch, in memory of Lillian E. Marrero-Rios, a librarian at this branch for many years. She ran a food bank in the library’s basement, which is still in operation.
The branch serves the communities of Central North Philadelphia, Fairhill, St. Edwards/Hartranft, and West Kensington.