Item No: pdcf00253
Title: Lillian Marrero/Lehigh Avenue Branch
Additional Title: Basement of the Lehigh Avenue Branch, 1950
Historic Street Address:
601 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Lehigh Avenue Branch, the third Free Library branch that was built with funds from Andrew Carnegie, opened on November 20, 1906. This photograph was taken in August of 1950. The basement of the Lehigh Avenue Branch was used to stockpile books for the new Bushrod Branch, which opened on October 25 of that year.
The Lehigh Avenue Branch was saved from a planned relocation in the mid-1960s, and was instead rehabilitated in 1967. In 2005, the branch was renamed the Lillian Marrero Branch, in memory of Lillian E. Marrero-Rios, a librarian at this branch for many years. She ran a food bank in the library’s basement, which is still in operation.
The branch serves the communities of Central North Philadelphia, Fairhill, St. Edwards/Hartranft, and West Kensington.