Item No: pdcf00255
Title: Lillian Marrero/Lehigh Avenue Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Lehigh Avenue Branch just prior to rehabilitation, 1967
Historic Street Address:
601 W. Lehigh Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The Lehigh Avenue Branch, the third Free Library branch that was built with funds from Andrew Carnegie, opened on November 20, 1906. The branch was saved from a planned relocation in the mid-1960s, and was instead rehabilitated in 1967. This 1967 interior view was taken just prior to the obviously-needed repairs.
In 2005, the branch was renamed the Lillian Marrero Branch, in memory of Lillian E. Marrero-Rios, a librarian at this branch for many years. She ran a food bank in the library’s basement, which is still in operation.
The branch serves the communities of Central North Philadelphia, Fairhill, St. Edwards/Hartranft, and West Kensington.
Fredericks, William J. - Photographer