Item No: pdcf00275
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Lovett Memorial Branch, ca. 1924
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. This view, probably taken shortly before the official change-over, displays the ornate interior, including various busts and relics relating to the Lovett family. Also note the then-contemporary post-WWI Liberty Loan posters, on the left above the fireplace.
In 1961, a much-needed new addition was opened, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.