Item No: pdcf00276
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Lovett Memorial Branch, mid-1920s
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. This mid-1920s interior view shows the changes made to the interior, adapted to the Free Library formula: many of the original ornate features were removed, the circulation desk was redesigned, and the stacks were reorganized to provide more space. However, some of the busts and the post-WWI Liberty Loan posters were retained.
In 1961, a much-needed new addition was opened, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.