Item No: pdcf00277
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of Lovett Memorial Branch, 1939
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. This 1939 photograph shows the stone walls at the end of the brick walkway (not visible in the 1920s image, #pdcf00268), and new landscaping.
In 1961, a much-needed new addition was opened, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.
Carson's Studio - Photographer