Item No: pdcf00278
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Exrerior view of Lovett Memorial Branch, ca. 1940
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. This ca. 1940 photograph of the exterior shows a new set of brick stairs, repointed stone walls, and a paved sidewalk at the end of the brick walkway.
In 1961, a much-needed new addition was opened, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.
Carson's Studio - Photographer