Item No: pdcf00281
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of Lovett Memorial Branch, ca. 1958
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room. In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia.
A much-needed new addition was opened in 1961, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space. This ca. 1958 interior view of the lovely fireplace and memorial to the branch's namesake was taken just prior to the construction of the new addition.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.