Item No: pdcc01398
Title: The Farmers' Market on Market Street
Historic Street Address:
12th & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Illustration of the Farmers' Market House on Market Street west of 11th. showing street railroad cars of the Union Line and a horsecar riding the tracks along Market Street. Other horse-drawn vehicles include carts and wagons drawn up before the market facade. To the left of the building work is beginning on the adjoining Franklin Market (also known as the 12th Street Market) completed in 1864.
Print published in Frank Taylor's "Old Philadelphia" series, 1915 - 1927, with accompanying caption: The Farmers' Market house, erected upon the north side of Market Street, west from Eleventh Street, was built in 1860 and was one of the first structures of this type which succeeded the old mid-street sheds. Soon afterward the Franklin Market Company, which had previously erected the market building now housing the Mercantile Library, built a large structure adjoining the Farmers' Market upon the west.
In 1892 the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company acquired both properties and placed upon the sites the present terminal building. By agreement the market people were given space beneath the terminal track floor which they still occupy.
Taylor, Frank H. (Frank Hamilton), 1846-1927 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler