Item No: pdcc01400
Title: Where Housewives Once Marketed
Historic Street Address:
15th & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Illustration of market sheds in the middle of Market Street at 15th. with market traders and shoppers beneath the awnings. Shown beyond the sheds on the left is a partial view of the Western Farmers' Market, built to replace the sheds. Also shows residences and business houses including the Western Exchange Hotel.
Print published in Frank Taylor's "Old Philadelphia" series, 1915 - 1927, with accompanying caption: This quaint survival of the old market sheds extended two squares along Market Street west from Fifteenth Street. They were removed in 1862. The old building of the Western Exchange, together with the dwellings shown beyond it, once covered the space now occupied by the train shed of the Pennsylvania Railroad terminal. West of these is a glimpse of the more modern Wester market-house.
Taylor, Frank H. (Frank Hamilton), 1846-1927 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler