Item No: pdcc01401
Title: The Eastern Market
Print and Picture Collection
Illustration of the Eastern Market-house between Fourth and Fifth Streets above Chestnut with shoppers and workers beneath the covered walkway. Banners hanging from the awnings advertise the availability of choice fruit in season and the presence of Partridges Dining Saloon. Horse-drawn vehicles include carts and wagons parked outside the building and a trolley car making its way up Fifth Street.
Print published in Frank Taylor's "Old Philadelphia" series, 1915 - 1927, with accompanying caption: The Eastern Market-house was built in 1859. It extended between Fourth and Fifth streets above Chestnut street. It was the third market building of its class built in Philadelphia. Some old citizens will recall Partridge's lunch counter as a popular feature here, for many years. The Market covered the site of the old Black Bear Inn. It was, in turn, displaced in the year 1900 by the Bourse building.
Taylor, Frank H. (Frank Hamilton), 1846-1927 - Artist
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler