Item No: pdcf00284
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: First floor plan for the Lovett Memorial Branch addition, ca. 1960
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room. In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia.
A much-needed new addition, designed by Robert F. Bishop, was opened in 1961, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space. This photograph is a copy of the first floor plan of the new addition.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.