Item No: pdcf00287
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Exterior close-up of the entrance to the Lovett Memorial Branch addition, 1969
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A much-needed new addition, designed by Robert F. Bishop, was opened in 1961, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space. This 1969 exterior view is a close-up of the entrance to the addition.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.
LaRue - Photographer