Item No: pdcf00288
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Exterior side view of the Lovett Memorial Branch addition, late 1960s
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A much-needed new addition, designed by Robert F. Bishop, was opened in 1961, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space. This exterior side view of the addition was taken in the late 1960s.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.