Item No: pdcf00290
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Lovett Memorial Branch addition, ca. 1966
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A much-needed new addition, designed by Robert F. Bishop, was opened in 1961, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space. This ca. 1966 interior view of the new addition shows the suspended shelving of the adult stacks, and the children's area balcony over-looking the adult reading area.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.