Item No: pdcf00291
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: "Boy Reading" sculpture, in the Lovett Memorial Branch addition, 1967
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A much-needed new addition, designed by Robert F. Bishop, was opened in 1961, in turn converting the original Tourison building into a beautiful Victorian lecture hall, and the Cridland wing into staff work space.
This sculpture, a copy of a sculpture in an Illinois library, is titled "Boy Reading," created by sculptor is Sylvia Shaw Judson. It was donated for the children's area of the new addition in 1961.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.
Fredericks, William J. - Photographer