Item No: pdcf00292
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Lovett Memorial Branch lecture hall, 1960s
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A much-needed new addition was opened in 1961, in turn converting the Cridland wing into staff work space, and the original Tourison building into the beautiful Victorian lecture hall, pictured here. Note the original fireplace and mantelpiece, crafted by Robert C. Gavett.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.