Item No: pdcf00293
Title: Lovett Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Lovett Memorial Branch's vandalized WWI memorial monument, 1991
Historic Street Address:
6945 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
In 1887, Charlotte Lovett Bostwick built and endowed the Lovett Memorial Free Library, in memory of her brother, Thomas R. Lovett. The main building was designed by architect Ashton Tourison. In 1891, a rounded wing, designed by Robert B. Cridland, was added as a reading room.
In 1924, the library became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. On May 25th of that year, the library dedicated this memorial monument to those Mt. Airy residents who died serving in WWI. The boulder is from Valley Forge, and included a bronze plaque with the 35 names of those honored. In this 1991 photograph, taken by the Philadelphia Daily News, branch librarian Karen Crist indicates where the plaque, stolen in 1984, used to be.
The Lovett Memorial Branch serves the communities of East and West Mount Airy.
Faircloth, E. W. - Photographer
Philadelphia Daily News (Firm) - Photographer