Item No: pdcf00295
Title: Lucien E. Blackwell West Philadelphia Regional Library
Additional Title: The Rivoli Theater, future site of the West Philadelphia Regional Library, 1959
Historic Street Address:
125 South 52nd Street
Print and Picture Collection
The West Philadelphia Regional Library opened on October 21, 1976, becoming the second regional library in the city, providing West Philadelphia with a larger collection than those of neighborhood branches. Designed by architect William Mann, the library was built on the site of the Rivoli Theater. This 1959 street scene shows the theater a decade earlier.
In 2004, this regional library branch was renamed the Lucien E. Blackwell West Philadelphia Regional library, after Lucien Blackwell, a former congressman, city council member, state legislator and local activist, who died in 2003.
Located two blocks south of the 52nd Street El station in West Philadelphia, the library serves the communities of Cedar Park, Walnut Hill, West Market, Mill Creek, Dunlap, and West Park.
Bob Fox - Photographer