Item No: pdcf00297
Title: Manayunk Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Manayunk Branch, 1909
Historic Street Address:
Fleming & Dupont Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Manayunk Branch was opened in February of 1909, becoming the tenth of the Andrew Carnegie-funded libraries in Philadelphia. The land was donated for this purpose to the City by John F. S. Morris, Esq.
The building, seen in this 1909 exterior view, is a brick and terra cotta example of the Beaux-Arts style, designed by architect Benjamin Rush Stevens. It originally had one story and a basement. The building was de-accessioned and sold in 1969, and was first a seniors center and is now part of a condominium development.
The Manayunk Branch served the borough of Manayunk until 1969, when it closed, along with the Wissahickon Branch; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer