Item No: pdcf00298
Title: Manayunk Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Manayunk Branch, 1909
Historic Street Address:
Fleming & Dupont Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Manayunk Branch was opened in February of 1909, becoming the tenth of the Andrew Carnegie-funded libraries in Philadelphia. The land was donated for this purpose to the City by John F. S. Morris, Esq. This is a 1909 view of the interior.
The building originally had one story, consisting of the main room and children's room (which doubled as the lecture hall, and could seat up to 150 people) and a basement, which had two toilets, a staff room, kitchen, janitor's room, boiler room, and coal bins. The building was de-accessioned and sold in 1969, and was first a seniors center and is now part of a condominium development.
The Manayunk Branch served the borough of Manayunk until 1969, when it closed, along with the Wissahickon Branch; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer