Item No: pdcf00299
Title: Manayunk Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Manayunk Branch, ca. late 1930s
Historic Street Address:
Fleming & Dupont Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Manayunk Branch was opened in February of 1909, becoming the tenth of the Andrew Carnegie-funded libraries in Philadelphia. The land was donated for this purpose to the City by John F. S. Morris, Esq.
This late 1930s exterior view shows minimal changes after 30 years. The building was de-accessioned in 1969, was first a seniors center and is now part of a condominium development.
The Manayunk Branch served the borough of Manayunk until 1969, when it closed, along with the Wissahickon Branch; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch.