Item No: pdcf00302
Title: Manayunk Branch
Additional Title: Model of a Victory Garden at the Manayunk Branch, ca. 1940s
Historic Street Address:
Fleming & Dupont Streets
Print and Picture Collection
The Manayunk Branch was opened in February of 1909, becoming the tenth of the Andrew Carnegie-funded libraries in Philadelphia. The land was donated for this purpose to the City by John F. S. Morris, Esq. The building was de-accessioned in 1969, and was first a seniors center and is now part of a condominium development.
This ca. 1940s photograph shows a model of a “victory garden” in the Children's Room, created by the Manayunk Branch's Vacation Reading Club during WWII.
The Manayunk Branch served the borough of Manayunk until 1969, when it closed, along with the Wissahickon Branch; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch.