Item No: pdcf00307
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Exterior of Webster Mansion/McPherson Square Branch, ca. 1898
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
McPherson Square Park is named for General William MacPherson, who was the original owner of the Webster Mansion; George Washington, a close friend, was often entertained there. It was home to three generations of the prominent Webster family from 1805 until 1891, when the home and grounds were sold to the City of Philadelphia for use as a park.
The McPherson Square Branch, pictured here, opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915, and the current Carnegie-funded building was opened on the same site in May of 1917.
The McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.