McPherson Square BranchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Free Library Departments and Branches
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
McPherson Square Park is named for General William MacPherson, who was the original owner of the Webster Mansion; George Washington, a close friend, was often entertained there. It was home to three generations of the prominent Webster family from 1805 until 1891, when the home and grounds were sold to the City of Philadelphia for use as a park.
The McPherson Square Branch opened on July 5, 1898, in the repurposed mansion, the interior of which is pictured here. The mansion was torn down in 1915, and the current Carnegie-funded building was erected on the same site in 1917.
The McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.
Creation Year: ca. 1898
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.119972