Item No: pdcf00310
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the McPherson Square Branch, 1917
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This 1917 exterior view shows the Neoclassical brick and terra cotta structure with a symmetrical Palladian villa form, designed by the firm of Wilson, Eyre, & McIlvain. It consists of one story (comprised of the main room and the children’s room/lecture room) and a basement.
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.
Rau Art Studios, Inc. - Photographer