McPherson Square BranchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Free Library Departments and Branches
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
The McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This 1917 interior view shows a T-shaped floorplan, including a central domed ceiling above the circulation desk, supported by classical columns. The interior consists of one story, comprising the main room and the children’s room (which doubles as the lecture room, capable of seating 300 people); and a basement, which originally had the magazine room, staff room, a classroom, kitchen, two toilets, maintenance, supply and storage areas, and a boiler room and coal bin.
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.
Creation Year: 1917
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.119972
Creator Name: Rau Art Studios, Inc. - Photographer