Item No: pdcf00312
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the McPherson Square Branch, ca. 1940
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This photograph was taken by the Works Progress Administration's Museum Extension Project, ca. 1940. The three-quarter perspective allows for a better view of the projecting portico entrance and the central dome than do the head-on earlier photographs. Also visible in this photograph is the statue dedicated to local resident Charles Allen Smith, the second American killed at Vera Cruz (WWI) in 1914. It was erected in the park, near the library, by the Allied Monument Committee of Philadelphia in 1917.
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.
United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania - Photographer