Item No: pdcf00314
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of a rear entrance to the McPherson Branch, ca. late 1950s
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This late-1905s view shows deterioration of the external walls and doors of a rear entrance, prior to a major rehabilitation.
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.