Item No: pdcf00317
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the McPherson Square Branch children's room, 1961
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
The McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This October 1961 view shows the rehabilitation to the interior of the McPherson Square Branch, in particular new flooring, lighting, and removal of the skylight in the children's room.
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.
Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer