Item No: pdcf00318
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: View of the rehabilitated interior of the McPherson Square Branch, 1961
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This view from October 1961 shows the rehabilitation of the interior, in particular new flooring, fluorescent lighting, and re-plastering and painting.
The McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.
Lawrence S. Williams, Inc. - Photographer