Item No: pdcf00319
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Exterior of McPherson Square Branch, before a second rehabilitation, 1974
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This March 1974 exterior view, just prior to rehabilitation, shows extensive peeling paint and graffiti since the last major rehabilitation in 1961.
The McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.