Item No: pdcf00320
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Exterior of newly-rehabilitated McPherson Square Branch, 1975
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This 1975 view shows extensive repainting of the exterior, just after a second major rehabilitation.
The McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.