Item No: pdcf00323
Title: McPherson Square Branch
Additional Title: Children's room in the McPherson Square Branch, 1976
Historic Street Address:
601 East Indiana Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
Set in McPherson Square Park, the McPherson Square Branch opened in the repurposed Webster Mansion on July 5, 1898. The mansion was torn down in 1915; the new building, erected on the same site in 1917, became the 19th Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch.
This 1976 interior view of the rehabilitated children's room highlights the sculptured reading tables with attached seating, by woodcarver Stewart Zane Paul.
The McPherson Square Branch serves the neighborhoods of Kensington, McPherson Square, and Kensington & Allegheny. It is located near the Allegheny El station.