Item No: pdcf00085
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Early photograph of the Mercantile Library, 1869
Historic Street Address:
10 South 10th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Library, originally a subscription library founded in 1820, was relocated in 1869 to this much larger building at 10 S. 10th Street. This building was previously a market and railroad depot, built in 1845, designed by William L. Johnston. This is an 1869 photograph of the exterior.
In 1944, the Mercantile Library became the Mercantile Branch of the Free Library. In 1953, the branch moved to a new building around the corner at 1021 Chestnut Street, after this building was demolished.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it permanently closed in 1989.
Wenderoth, Taylor & Brown - Photographer