Item No: pdcf00091
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Harper's Weekly illustration of the Mercantile Library, 1869
Historic Street Address:
10 S. 10th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Library, originally a subscription library founded in 1820, was relocated in 1869 to this much larger building at 10 S. 10th Street. This building was previously a market and railroad depot, built in 1845, designed by William L. Johnston.
In 1869, Harper's Weekly magazine published this illustration (an embellishment of a photograph), on the occasion of the library opening in its new location.
In 1944, the Mercantile Library became the Mercantile Branch of the Free Library. In 1953, the branch moved to a new building around the corner at 1021 Chestnut Street, after this building was demolished.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until it permanently closed in 1989.
Harper's weekly - Engraver
Wenderoth, Taylor & Brown - Photographer