Item No: pdcf00325
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Renovating interior of Mercantile Branch, September 1944
Historic Street Address:
10 S. 10th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Library, originally a subscription library founded in 1820, was relocated in 1869 to this much larger building at 10 S. 10th Street. This building was previously a market and railroad depot.
It wasn't until 1944 that the Mercantile Library became the Mercantile Branch of the Free Library. This photograph was taken during renovations in the fall of 1944, in advance of the official Free Library branch opening on December 28.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until its subsequent location (at 1021 Chestnut Street) closed in 1989.