Item No: pdcf00328
Title: Mercantile Branch
Additional Title: Renovated section of the Mercantile Branch, late 1940s
Historic Street Address:
10 S. 10th Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Mercantile Library, originally a subscription library founded in 1820, was relocated in 1869 to this much larger building at 10 S. 10th Street; the building was previously a market and railroad depot. By the 1940s, the library was sharing the building with other businesses. In 1944, the Mercantile Library became the Mercantile Branch of the Free Library. This photograph shows a renovated section of the new branch.
The Mercantile Branch served the Center City population, until its subsequent location (at 1021 Chestnut Street) closed in 1989.