Item No: pdcf00335
Title: Nicetown-Tioga Branch
Additional Title: Nicetown Branch in renovated Pfund's Hall, ca. 1897
Historic Street Address:
4015 Germantown Avenue
Print and Picture Collection
With a gift of $1,150 from Midvale Steel Works and the Link-Belt Company, the Nicetown Branch opened in 1897, in the renovated Pfund's Hall at 4015 Germantown Avenue. This is an exterior view of the former community hall, shortly after becoming a Free Library branch.
The branch has been relocated twice, first to an Andrew Carnegie-funded building in 1917, then to a converted Linton's Restaurant in 1958, when it was renamed the Nicetown-Tioga Branch (and subsequently remodeled in 1961).
The Nicetown-Tioga Branch serves the communities of Nicetown and Tioga, located close to the Erie station of the Broad Street Subway.