Nicetown-Tioga Branch

Item Info

Item No: pdcf00337
Title: Nicetown-Tioga Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Nicetown Branch, ca. 1919
Historic Street Address: 1715 Hunting Park Avenue
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection

The Nicetown Branch opened in 1897, in the converted Pfund's Hall at 4015 Germantown Avenue. In 1917, the branch was relocated to a new building at 1715 Hunting Park Avenue, becoming the 20th Free Library branch funded by Andrew Carnegie.  The building, seen in this ca. 1919 exterior view, was designed by architect John Windrim.   It was a one-story brick-and-limestone structure, with a basement.

The branch relocated again in 1958, to a converted Linton's Restaurant, when it was renamed the Nicetown-Tioga Branch (and subsequently remodeled in 1961).

The Nicetown-Tioga Branch serves the communities of Nicetown and Tioga, situated close to the Erie station of the Broad Street Subway.

Creation Year: ca. 1917
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.155611
Geocode Latitude:40.015117

Creator Name: Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer