Paschalville BranchHistorical Images of Philadelphia Free Library Departments and Branches
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
The Paschalville Branch of the Free Library was first established in 1900, in a house at the corner of 70th Street & Woodland Avenue. It was torn down in 1913, to make way for the new Andrew Carnegie-funded building, pictured here, which opened on the same site in 1915. (During the 2-year construction phase, the branch had a temporary residence in the Sparks Building of the St. James of Kingsessing Church, one block away.)
The branch was designed by Henry C. Richards. It is the seventeenth of the 25 Carnegie libraries in Philadelphia. It is a symmetrical Georgian Revival structure, having a brick and terra cotta exterior.
The Paschalville Branch serves the Paschalville and Elmwood neighborhoods.
Creation Year: 1915
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.241439
Creator Name: Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer