Item No: pdcf00402
Title: Thomas F. Donatucci, Sr./Passyunk Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Passyunk Branch, 1966
Historic Street Address:
1935 Shunk Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Passyunk Branch opened on April 14, 1914, on a tract of land received from the estate of banker and philanthropist Stephen Girard. The building was the fifteenth of 25 libraries built with funds donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.
In 1962, the building went through a major rehabilitation. The systems were upgraded, and new flooring, lighting, and furniture were added. A circulation desk was installed, and a partition wall was added to create a work space for library staff. The walls and woodwork were painted. This 1966 interior view shows the renovated children’s room.
The library serves the neighborhoods of Girard Estate, Packer Park, Passyunk Homes, St. Richards, and West Passyunk.
Fredericks, William J. - Photographer