Item No: pdcf00411
Title: Philadelphia City Institute Branch
Additional Title: Children's room in the Philadelphia City Institute Branch, 1957
Historic Street Address:
1905 Locust Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Philadelphia City Institute opened its doors at 18th and Chestnut Streets in 1855, principally as a library and reading room for area youth. In 1923, the Institute moved to a former residence, the Craig-Lippincott House, at 218 S. 19th Street (West Rittenhouse Square). In 1944, the Institute joined the Free Library of Philadelphia as a branch. The branch remained there until the building was demolished in 1955.
On May 11, 1957, PCI reopened in its present quarters, at approximately the same site, designed to be incorporated into the first floor and lower level of a newly-built high-rise apartment building. This interior view is of the children's room, on the lower level.
PCI serves the communities of Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square, and people who live and work in Center City west of Broad Street.