Item No: pdcf00416
Title: Queen Memorial Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Queen Memorial Branch, ca. 1940
Historic Street Address:
33rd & Wharton Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Named in honor of a Philadelphia optician, pioneer microscope-maker, and philanthropist, the James W. Queen Memorial Library was founded in 1907. It was originally housed in the Hope Presbyterian Church at 33rd & Wharton Streets; it became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia on December 13, 1912. This ca. 1940 exterior view shows the building’s southern face.
In 1957, the Queen Memorial Branch was relocated to a rented building at 1313-15 Point Breeze Avenue. In 1995, it opened in its latest location, 1201 S. 23rd Street, in the Landreth Apartments for seniors.
Although located in a seniors residence, the Queen Memorial Branch serves all ages of the Point Breeze community.
United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania - Photographer